Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Finding 3Rensho

A year and a half ago I got into fixedgear bikes and started riding one to work. Reading up about it lead me to this awesome group called Manla Fixed Gear, where my knowledge and appreciation about this type of ride grew.

This story actually started one morning when on my way to work I saw this bike used by a fellow, set up'd with a rear brake(clipped) and a freewheel. Just by one look at it I knew it was a trackbike. I'm pretty sure I saw "3rensho" decals on it, but before I could take  a better look, I lost him. The next morning I intentionally got up early and went to the same spot where I saw him, hoping to chance upon him again, but alas, no such luck. This happened for a few weeks and a few sleepless nights.

Then one afternoon, on my way home, I saw him again! Finally! I pedaled as fast as I can and was able to catch up. The 3rensho fellow was kind enough to stop and chat. From then on we got to regularly see each other. It was he beginning of a beautiful track bike friendship!

I researched for days about 3rensho and I was able to confirm that it is a 3Rensho Trackbike. When I couldn't help it anymore I finally had to ask if there is a chance that he would to sell it to me. His answer was, to my sad sad disappointment, a NO. He said it was from his uncle that came from Japan and its his favorite commuter among his bikes. He also knew that it was something valuable with all the Dura ace parts (7500 track). Sad sad...

He asked me to help him instead, as he wants to try riding it fixed. So I gave him a cog and a lockring. I also invited him to ride with me during sundays to meet some fellow fixed gear riders, though he never did join us. Still, we continued communicating. After several months, I received a text from him that he needed money for house repairs. As much as I want to empathize with the bad state of his house (that needed the repairs)no such feelings came as I only felt elation for the fulfillment of my hard earned patience! As soon as we closed negotiations, I picked up my 3Rensho the next morning, AND YES IT WAS MINE!

From the net:

-
3Rensho was originally started as an offshoot of Cherubim, Yoshi Konno's brother Hiroshi's shop. Yoshi Konno was going to sell semi-custom "Cherubim Cycles" frames from his own shop, but Hiroshi was unable to provide enough volume so Yoshi Konno (along with Yamaguchi, a mystery Panasonic custom shop builder and Makino) started making frames under the "Cyclone" name. Cyclone was a Suntour trademark, so the shop soon switched to 3Rensho. The very, very earliest 3Renshos (1978-80 or so) were stickered both with the Cherubim Cycles shop logo, as well as the 3Rensho logos.









Frame:
3rensho - cherubim 1978-1980 with Suntour 10mm Dropouts
Fork/Headset:
3rensho / Shimano DuraAce 7400
Crankset/Bottom Bracket:
NJS Shimano Dura Ace 7500 165mm arm / Shimano 7500
Pedals:
MKS Sylvan Track / MKS NJS toe clips / Wellgo Strap
Drivetrain/Cog/Chainring/Chain:
48x17 / Shimano 48 teeth BIA / KMC
Handlebars/Stem:
Nitto B123aa Aluminum 365mm / Nitto Jaguar 100
Saddle/Seatpost:
Kashimax Aero NJS / Aero
Front Wheel/Hub/Tire:
Araya / Dura Ace 7500 Track hub / Panaracer Pasela
Rear Wheel/Hub/Tire:
Araya / Dura Ace 7500 Track hub / Panaracer Pasela


No comments:

Post a Comment